My husband and I LOVE Mexican cuisine. It’s probably our favorite genre of food. One of the things I like about it is that most of the dishes use the same ingredients, rearranged in various ways, and tweaked just a bit. Let’s face it, the only major difference between a soft taco, a burrito, and a quesadilla is how the tortilla is positioned around the filling–folded, wrapped, or sandwiched. But even though they’re largely the same, they each give you a different experience, while still enjoying the familiar flavors you love.
The same is true for a tostada. It’s basically a flat taco, but the tortilla is fried or baked to make it nice and crispy. Then, just pile on your favorite ingredients! I added some chipotle lime shrimp, and it was awesome! It had just the right amount of kick to it. Not too spicy, but definitely added some flavor! These tasty shrimp can be eaten plain or added to other recipes like tacos or salads. But I loved them on this tostada! Also, feel free to go crazy with the toppings. Use whatever Mexican fixin’s you like, it doesn’t have to be the same as what I used!
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tostada Ingredients
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa
- Combine all the ingredients for the chipotle lime shrimp in a zip top bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and spray both sides with cooking spray (or brush with olive oil). Bake for 7-10 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, remove shrimp from marinade. Saute in a skillet over medium high heat for about 3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Then just assemble your tostadas! I did it in this order: shredded lettuce, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, shrimp, and then shredded cheese.
I did not heat the black beans before assembling, but you could easily warm them up on the stove first if you prefer!
Source: Closet Cooking